Sunday, May 12, 2013

Motherly Memo

It's Mother's Day, one of the few holidays that should be recognized every day. Because we all know where we would be without our moms. If I had to guess where I would be without my mom, it would be somewhere between dead in a roadside ditch, and mopping floors for a living (not that there's anything wrong with that). But no matter, thanks to my mom I'm in a place where I can be proud of who I am and where I came from.

She even buys me beer!
In the transition period I am currently in of graduating and moving into another life stage, this year is a year that I appreciate my mom more than I have in past years. This is for the nights of my youth I would sleep in mom and dad's bed because of a nightmare, getting read to on a nightly basis, having desserts snuck to me before bed, and the lunches I was made EVERY day of school. It's so great to be at a point where I can recognize how all those seemingly normal occurrences compiled to such significance. It's amazing how consistency is able to symbolize love, caring, and nurture.

The luxury of not having to worry about if someone at home loves me or not, and knowing that there would always be dinner made for me and laundry folded, is what makes me so grateful that I have the mom I have. I am so fortunate to have been raised by such a beautiful person and to continue to be supported throughout college. Mom, I really have no idea how you were able to deal with not just one of me, but a twin and three other kids. I am just so glad that you found it to be worth it. I love you mom.

For everyone who has the fortune to say they can appreciate all of these things, cheers to you and your mothers; because not everyone has a loving mother to go home to.

Happy Mothers Day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment